For the last month or so, I’ve been feverishly working on a OCTGN Plugin for Star Wars: The Card Game, by Fantasy Flight Games and I’ve finally released a polished version that I’m comfortable sharing with the world. So it’s now time to share the news and help people get started in the usual way.
So, Star Wars: The Card Game, is a “Living Card Game” release, much like Android:Netrunner or Warhamer:Invasion and it’s obvious on which theme it’s based on. The game has only gone out to stores this week if I am not mistaken so it’s brand new.
As a game, it is a somewhat asymmetric game, where each side (Light or Dark) has slightly different victory conditions, albeit their core gameplay does not differ all that much. Most of the differentiation happens in the kind of effects each Affiliation focuses on, much like the colours of Magic:The Gathering. I won’t go into much detail here as I’m sure you can find a lot of reviews online if you happen to need them.
I’ve played a dozen games or so by now, and I’m quite liking it. It may not be as deep or thematic as Android:Netrunner, but it has a lot of tough decisions to make and it’s the kind of game that you canot not see its depth of strategy from reading the rulebook and the spoilers, but rather you need to actually get down to the table and get your hands dirty. Even though I seem to completely suck at it (I’ve won 2 games only), it does show a lot of promise.
So for anyone interested in trying it out, you can now use my polished OCTGN plugin to do so. Below I will provide you with some step-by-step instructions on how to get it up and running.
(Also, check out these detailed instructions on installing games on OCTGN as well)
- Download & Install the OCTGN client from here (Windows only...for now )
- Open OCTGN and register an account or login with an existing one.
- Go to the game manager tab and click the “Add” button. In the window that will open type:
Name: OCTGN Directory
Feed URL/Path: http://www.myget.org/f/octgngamedirectory
and press “Add”. A new feed should appear on the left.
- Click on the “OCTGN Directory” Feed. On the right a list of games should appear. Star Wars – The Card Game should be towards the bottom.
- Click on Star Wars – The Card Game and click “Install”. After a short wait it should finish.
- You are now ready to play. The game will automatically generate proxy cards to use, so you don’t need to download anything else.
(Optional) If you want, you can have card art, instead of proxies
- Go here and download all the card packs (.o8c) you find. Anything that says “(Censored)” includes cards where the card text has been blurred out.
- In OCTGN, go to game manager and click on “Add o8c”
- Select the .o8c files you download them one by one and install them. You will see a install window and once each pack is installed, you’ll see a pop-up window confirming this. This should take a few seconds at most (Warning: Sometimes the pop-up window appears behind the main OCTGN window. Simply move OCTGN to see it. It’s not stuck).
- Done! Your sets now contain card art.
(Optional) In case you’re a new player, grab the rulebook from here (pdf) or watch the video tutorials.
Once everything is set up, you need to find someone to play with. You can go to the Host/Join tab to see if anyone has a game waiting. If nobody does, host your own and put in the title that you’re a new player.
Once you find someone, one of you hosts and game and the other joins. Leave the two-sided checkbox checked and once the game is started, load your starter decks. Things should be fairly intuitive but keep in mind these basic things in relation to the OCTGN engine plugin.
- First thing you do after you load a deck is Setup (Ctrl+Shift+S). This will check if your version is up to date, show you the Message of the Day, and also give you some Tips on playing the game.
- The setup will put 4 objectives in your hand. You need to select one to put to the bottom of your deck. Once you’ve decided which one, simply mouse over it and press “Del”. Now that you have just three objectives in your hand, press Ctrl+Shift+S once more to place them on the table
- Wait until your opponent has placed their objectives on the table as well and communicate if any of you wants to take a Mulligan. If not, then double-click on your objectives to reveal them and start the game.
- To move from Phase to Phase and to start/end your turn, simply press Ctrl+Enter. This will automatically trigger any card effects that happen after that phase.
- To attack an objective, target it and press Ctrl+A (or use the context menu on the table). Now you can assign attackers/defenders.
- Most actions that you want to do, you can do by double-clicking on a card. The game will intuitively understand what you most likely want to achieve and do it. If you’re in an engagement, double-clicking on a non-participating unit will make it participate (turn it 90 degrees sideways). If a unit is participating, double clicking with it will perform a strike. If you’re trying to pay for a card, double clicking on a resource generating card will focus it to generate resources and so on. Double-Click is your friend.
- If a card needs a target for its ability, simply use shift+click to target another card before you use it. Shift+Click again to clear a target.
I’ve made a video on how to play. It’s a bit outdated now that the new version is out, but I’ll update it in the near future