Argh! Panic!

I’m metaphorically running around like a headless chicken.
I’m saying metaphorically because I’m not actually running around but I’ve been switching through support tasks so quickly that it sure feels that way.

Today I’ve fixed the damn DFS replication of the primary file server and what I gained for my trouble is a loss or user rights in the dfs and me frantically scrabbling around to see what happened. I reset the system, took the opportunity to update the AV engine as well and between two reboots I’ve had about a million fuckin calls, and that was after I sent a notification that users should get out of the shared folders.

‘Kosta, some people got a message to close their files on shared folders but I didn’t’
‘Did you have open files on shared folders?’
‘No’
‘Then it’s logical not to get messaged isn’t it?’

‘Kosta, my shared folders are not opening’
‘I’m still working on it. I didn’t give the OK to get in yet. Why are you trying?’
‘Uh OK, when will they be up again?’
‘I dunno, probably as soon as I can get off the phone and keep working on it.’

(Well, OK. I didn’t say that last part, but I really wanted to)

‘KOSTA OMG I NEED THE SHARED FOLDERS OPEN FOR ME BECAUSE I NEED TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE IRS. IS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!1!’
(Trying to keep calm) ‘Uh, I can’t do that. I’m still in the middle of it’
‘OPEN THEM JUST FOR ME, STOP WORKING I DON’T CARE. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND? WHY DIDN’T YOU CONTACT ME!’
‘Look, I cannot just “open” them for you. I’m trying to fix the system and I’m in the middle of it and I…’
‘CLICK’

and on top of that the ERP server started failing and even more calls started pouring in.
So I was trying to fix a server while answering stupid questions about two servers.
Finally we got things in line and I found out the real cause of the problem and I hope it stays fixed.

Then I tried to update the antivirus of the primary domain controller. Only he didn’t have IE6, but for some reason it thought it needed a reboot. So I do that, and the backup domain controller does not take control, so everybody is unauthenticated, which means out of the exchange server, until the primary is back up.
It comes up, I install the explorer, reboot and the same again, only now I’m also in fear because the IE6 setup has a tendency to crash the system in some cases and if that happened now…well, I’m just happy it didn’t.
Anyway it comes back up, and I install the new AV, and now I’m waiting for the inevitable reboot request, which won’t happen.

Then a remote router failed because the technicians trying to fix the network between two small stores were careless and took out one small cable, bringing down approximately 100 users. Then the systems are too slow, then the programs are not working, then…ARGH. As soon as one problem appears everyone thinks that everything is broken.

Oh and my “good mood” is not alleviated at all by my near sickness, which means a runny nose and a constant cough.


About this entry